Saturday, May 21, 2011

Framed Block Quilt Part 3 - Free Motion Quilting

In my attempt to figure out exactly how to make my Heather Bailey Framed Block quilt, I noticed it was quilted with a pretty swirly pattern called Free Motion Quilting.  Hum, what was free motion quilting, how was it done, could I learn to do it?  I started doing searches on the Internet and found several videos on YouTube that showed how free motion quilting was done and what equipment you needed in order to do it (the free motion quilting foot) There was even a video of a child free motion quilting!  I watch several "how to"  videos over and over and finally decided to give it a try.

I think most people can learn basic free motion quilting.  It does require some practice, so I used some old quilt pieces and spent some time experimenting. There is a level of expertise in the free motion quilting world that I will never achieve. Yes, I can and will improve with practice, but I wasn't born with true artistic ability, so I imitate.   I watch videos of these talented ladies and am amazed at what they can do  If you have a chance watch some of the free motion quilting videos posted on YouTube. So, while I can't say that I became an expert at free motion quilting,  I became good enough at the basic swirly design to use the technique on my quilt. I posted the close up photo above to give you a better look.

No comments:

Post a Comment